Wisdom Tooth Extraction
Fill Out The Form Below To Schedule An Appointment.
The Best Wisdom Tooth Removal Dentist In Canton Mi
3rd Molar Extractions
In most cases, inadequate space in the mouth does not allow the wisdom teeth to erupt properly and become fully functional. When this happens, the tooth can become impacted (stuck) in an undesirable or potentially harmful position. If left untreated, impacted wisdom teeth can contribute to infection, damage to other teeth, and possibly cysts or tumors.
There are several types, or degrees, of impaction based on the actual depth of the teeth within the jaw:
- Soft Tissue Impaction: The upper portion of the tooth (the crown) has penetrated through the bone, but the gingiva (gum) is covering part or all of the tooth’s crown and has not positioned properly around the tooth. Because it is difficult to keep the area clean, food can become trapped below the gum and cause an infection and/or tooth decay, resulting in pain and swelling.
- Partial Bony Impaction: The tooth has partially erupted, but a portion of the crown remains submerged below the gum and surrounding jawbone. Again, because it is difficult to keep the area clean, infection will commonly occur.
- Complete Bony Impaction: The tooth is completely encased by jawbone. This will require more complex removal techniques.
Reasons to remove wisdom teeth
While not all wisdom teeth require removal, wisdom teeth extractions are most often performed because of an active problem such as pain, swelling, decay or infection, or as a preventative measure to avoid serious problems in the future. If impaction of one or more wisdom teeth is present and left untreated, a number of potentially harmful outcomes can occur, including:
- Damage to nearby teeth: Second molars (the teeth directly in front of the wisdom teeth) can be adversely affected by impacted wisdom teeth, resulting in tooth decay (cavities), periodontal disease (gum disease) and possible bone loss.
- Disease: Although uncommon, cysts and tumors can occur in the areas surrounding impacted wisdom teeth.
- Infection: Bacteria and food can become trapped under the gum tissue, resulting in an infection. The infection can cause considerable pain and danger.
- Tooth Crowding: It has been theorized that impacted wisdom teeth can put pressure on other teeth and cause them to become misaligned (crowded or twisted). This theory isn’t universally accepted by all dental professionals, and it has never been validated by any scientific studies.
Wisdom teeth examination
As with any dental procedure, your dentist will want to initially conduct a thorough examination of the wisdom and surrounding teeth. Panoramic or digital x-rays will be taken in order for your dentist to evaluate the position of the wisdom teeth and determine if a current problem exists, or the likelihood of any potential future problems. The x-rays can also expose additional risk factors, such as deterioration or decay of nearby teeth. Early evaluation and treatment (typically in the mid-teen years) are recommended in order to identify potential problems and to improve the results for patients requiring wisdom teeth extractions. Only after a thorough examination can your dentist provide you with the best options for your particular case.
CANTON, MICHIGAN WISDOM TOOTH REMOVAL
What does the removal of wisdom teeth involve?
Wisdom Tooth Extraction Resources
Here’s free information to learn more about Wisdom Tooth Extraction
Why Get Custom-Fit TMJ Mouth Guards?
TMJ mouth guards have proved to be successful as one of the best treatment options for TMJ disorder. A TMJ or Temporomandibular is a joint
Benefits of a Custom Mouth Guard for Grinding Teeth
A mouth guard is important for grinding teeth. Wearing a dental night guard reduces jaw tension and pain caused by TMD, and bruxism. Night guards
Why Are Dental Implants So Expensive?
It’s mental what we do with dental. Why are dental implants so expensive? The price of a dental implant has been determined by many things.
Read Our Reviews!
How Can We Help You?
HELPFUL RELATED LINKS
- American Academy of Implant Dentistry (AAID). What Are Dental Prosthetic Implants. 2013
- American Academy of Periodontology (AAP). Implants Defined. 2015
- American Dental Association (ADA). Glossary of Dental Terms. 2015
- WebMD. WebMD’s Oral Care Guide. 2015
ABOUT OUR BUSINESS, LICENSE, AND WEBSITE SECURITY
- Contemporary Dentistry and Implantology PC was established in 1998
- We accept the following payment methods: American Express, Cash, Check, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa
- We serve patients from the following counties: Wayne County & Washtenaw County
- We serve patients from the following cities: Canton, Plymouth, Westland, Wayne, Dearborn Heights, Dearborn, Novi, Livonia, Belleville, Ann Arbor, Garden City
- Website Safety Ratings and Reputation – AVG Threat Labs. View Details
- Norton Safe Web. View Details
- Trend Micro Site Safety Center. View Details